Gingivitis is an inflammation of the gums. This dental problem starts with a build-up of plaque, a clear, sticky substance that forms on our teeth every day. Plaque contains bacteria that ultimately leads to gingivitis and tooth decay. When plaque is not removed properly it eventually hardens into tartar – this means you have no option but to have it removed by a dental hygienist.
The Canadian Dental Association suggests some steps to take in order to help prevent gingivitis. By following these five simple steps, you can not only protect yourself from gingivitis, but you’ll maintain good oral health.
1) Brushing your teeth and your tongue twice a day is important, as is flossing once a day. Brushing and flossing is your best defense in removing daily plaque.
2) Having healthy gums are an important part of having good oral health. Checking your gums regularly can help you to catch the warning signs of gingivitis right away.
3) Regular dental check-ups are essential in order to stay on top of any potential dental problem, including gingivitis.
4) Make healthy food choices. Healthy food choices are important for good health and good oral health. Sugar is a contributing factor in many ill-health issues, including dental problems. Proper nutrients are important for your dental health, as well as your overall health; and when you combine these with good oral hygiene habits, you can prevent gingivitis and cavities too.
5) Lastly, if you smoke, quit. Smoking is a contributing factor in many dental problems, as well as oral cancer.
If you follow those easy steps then chances are you’ll be fortunate enough to never know what it is like to have gingivitis.
Eastgate Dental in Hamilton is pleased to speak with you about periodontal disease or any other dental health issue. Dr. Derakshan can consult with you about periodontal disease and there are several dental hygienists on staff at Eastgate, all who are passionate for getting your teeth immaculately cleaned. The newest member of the staff, Dr. Bhatti is an expert oral surgeon and works in oral surgery, extractions and implants. Call 905-560-2714 to find out more information or please visit eastgatedentalcentre.com.